Background The Open Contracting Partnership is a silo-busting collaboration between government, business, civil society and technologists to open up the documents and data behind government contracting and deal-making. We work across sectors and along the whole process of government contracting to use the power of open data and improved oversight to save governments money and time, deliver better goods and services to citizens, deter corruption and create a better business environment for all.
Position Summary We are looking for a motivated, talented professional to join us as a communications associate, likely based in either Washington DC or London. You will join a savvy, hard-working global team fostering innovation on, and implementation of, open contracting around the world.
You will help:
design and implement our communications plan across all channels;
coordinate our day-to-day communication stream including our social media;
develop and manage media and partner relations;
educate editors and journalists around the world as to why the trillion dollar world of contracting and procurement matters so much for public integrity, markets and development;
produce outstanding communications materials for web and print; and
tell inspiring stories about us, our amazing partners and our impacts.
This role will initially be a temporary contract, with the possibility of turning into a permanent role based on performance. We are seeking a smart self-starter to help us fill a gap to carry on the conversation with our partners and allies and broaden it to new audiences.
You should have a great existing track record of smart, savvy communications work with an existing network of contacts and a track record of impact. As a small team, we also expect this role to involve supporting our wider work, with likely foreign travel and occasional program or advocacy support.
You should be an excellent writer with a succinct, engaging style.
We offer opportunities for professional development and travel, as well as an excellent benefits package and compensation that is commensurate with reputation, experience and location. We also offer generous matched pension contribution of up to 10% subject to the rules of our pension scheme as set by policies of our fiscal sponsor (the Fund for the City of New York).
1) Help design and implement our communications plan and propose new ways of communicating with core audiences to enhance the OCP’s brand and reputation, including producing engaging, high quality content across all channels including social media and the website to make open contracting issues relevant to diverse stakeholders, being technically sound without sounding technical.
2) Produce outstanding communications materials, including: i) engaging content for OCP’s social media platforms; ii) drafting and editing OCP content and reports; iii) telling inspiring stories about us, our amazing partners and our impacts and iv) making learning and guidance from team members and field partners user-friendly and engaging, v) occasional help on donor and Board reporting or proposal writing.
3) Manage the OCP website, social media accounts and wider online presence, ensuring compelling and accessible content.
4) Develop and manage relationships with media organizations and communications colleagues among OCP’s partners to optimize opportunities and outcomes. You will also be called on to educate editors and journalists around the world as to why the trillion dollar world of contracting and procurement matters so much for public integrity, markets and development.
5) Collate and report quarterly on OCP’s existing communications targets and update them in conjunction with the organisation’s management.
6) Assist with smart, targeted advocacy in specific countries and regionally, aimed at promoting open contracting in core implementing countries and supporting allies and reformers.
7) As a small team, we also expect everyone to support everyone else and you will be expected to help out with occasional administrative and logistical tasks.
We want to be surprised, intrigued and excited by applicants. We expect that our new communications associate will:
A demonstrated track record of excellent public communications work;
Clear understanding of digital communications including various social media platforms and how to optimise them for OCP;
A proven record of engaging journalists and of editorial education of the media on why an issue is important;
Demonstrate a snappy and engaging writing style.
Ability to talk to diverse audiences online and offline.
Track record on innovative content creation.
Ability to frequently travel regionally and internationally.
Committed to our mission and strategy.
Excellent written and spoken English. Other languages, especially Spanish are a huge plus too.
Proactive, focussed on delivering and getting tasks done.
Ability to work independently on assignments.
Excellent prioritization skills, effectively handling regular deadlines and last minute requests.
Open to new ideas, new alliances, diversity, sharing, taking chances and new ways to solve problems.
Ability to listen to others and learn from their best ideas.
Humility and grace, flexibility, an ability to give credit and recognition to others.
Impeccable integrity and a high energy level.
A sense of fun and joy for your work and the ability to encourage that from others.
We are dedicated to equal employment opportunity and aim to cultivate and sustain a diverse, equitable, and inclusive team. We really value and prioritize diversity as a range of experiences and perspectives enriches our work and strengthens our ability to address complex challenges.